Nancy L. Sponseller

Working for you & with you.

How child support is enforced in Ohio

On behalf of Law Office of Nancy L. Sponseller posted on Friday, November 7, 2014.

If a parent doesn’t pay child support in Ohio, it is possible that his or her income may be withheld to cover the balance owed. The state defines income as any form of monetary payment, and it can include workers compensation payments or other public assistance. Lottery winnings or money received from an annuity may also be withheld as well as payments made in cash.

However, deductions made from social security or veteran’s association benefits may be limited by state or federal law. When an order for child support is granted, a child support enforcement agency will send a JFS 04047 to withhold a portion of any payment made to a person owing child support. This order must be delivered within 15 days of the support decree. If money is deposited into a financial institution, the agency may send an order to deduct funds from that institution.

If a person ordered to pay child support receives unemployment benefits, an order may be issued to deduct money from those benefits. This will be done through the child support enforcement agency issuing a JFS 04047 form to the Ohio department of job and family services. State law says that no more than 50 percent of any benefits received may be deducted to fulfill a child support order.

Parents who are owed support may rest easier knowing that there are several enforcement options available. However, if an order is not complied with, it may be worthwhile to hire a family law attorney. An attorney may make it possible to work out a modified support agreement that is easier for the noncustodial parent to adhere to. This may make it possible to look out for the best interest of the child. Contact us today 614-764-0423 or email us. 

Source: Ohio Laws and Rules, “5101:12-50-10 Income withholding or income deduction.“, November 05, 2014