Nancy L. Sponseller

Working for you & with you.

Grandparents Can File For Child Support For A Grandchild

On behalf of Law Office of Nancy L. Sponseller posted on Monday, November 24, 2014.

Depending on the circumstances, Ohio grandparents can file a request for determination of the nonexistence or the existence of a parent and child relationship. In addition, grandparents can seek child custody and support in connection with a grandchild. In order to file for custody of a grandchild, the child must have been born to un-emancipated minors who are not married, and he or she must be cared for by a grandparent.

The grandparent who is providing the primary care for the child can seek an administrative order that requires the child’s minor parents to pay child support. In order to obtain a child support order, the parent or parents should have an established relationship with the child or have signed a legally finalized acknowledgment of paternity.